Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Help: How Do You Organize Your Recipes?

Nearly every day I read a recipe I want to try (at a minimum -- often, I drool over multiple recipes) on the Internet. I know you do too! I know it! What I don't know, however, is what you do with those recipes. Personally, I think "Oh yum! I should make that for (dinner, x's birthday, breakfast with y)! It's perfect!" And then I move along, and before the day's out, I've probably forgotten it. Sorry about that, x and y, I'm sure it would've been delicious.

So what do you do with the recipes you find online and love? I'd rather have a system that doesn't involve printing them out, as I try to do that only for the most elaborate recipes, or ones I'm not cooking at home. I'm sure there's got to be some fantastic app or aggregator that everyone but me knows about, so please share. At this point I've got some halfhearted bookmarks, half of which are on my work computer where they're pretty useless, and an exploding recipe box jammed with printouts. There's got to be a better way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I use http://del.icio.us to keep track of stuff like this. You can categorize all of your bookmarks with tags. So if you found a bacon chocolate pie you could tag it with 'recipe' and 'dessert'. Then you can easily search based on one or more tags.

Or I sometimes print recipes to PDF and store them on my computer. OSX has this built in but I think there are some free Windows plug-ins as well. You could use a USB drive to take home the ones you printed at work.

SaintTigerlily said...

I browse on and forget about them and have piles of them laying around at home....


What?